Sunday 23 December 2007

Handmade Gifts

A couple weeks back I was asked whether I give handmade gifts to those I know at Christmas. The answer was of course, yes. I also have bought handmade when I couldn't think of something to make myself. And of course, like everyone, I also pick up that last minute 'stuff' that really, is not very satisfying. But now, that question has stayed front and center on my mind, both as I get my own gifts ready and as I come up with gift ideas for my kids to pass out. At first I was a bit hesitant to give handmade gifts because we're so used to buying everything, in a whirlwind of shopping that we later regret. Value somehow being tied into how much you spent. But the more handmade gifts I give, the more I want to do now. The more gifts I get my kids to make for others, explaining to them the value of handmade, the more I realize it doesn't just apply to kids! The more time I spend all through the year thinking about something that works for each individual, the more satisfaction I get out of the gift.
I give jewellery of course. But this year I went beyond jewellery and completed several drawings for my sister and although I felt a tiny bit of pressure, it was really enjoyable being creative in a new way.

So..my one New Year's resolution for 2008 is to come up with my own handmade gifts for Christmas 2008...for everyone. And my brothers can cringe all they like...I'm convinced I can do it, and do it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment